TIP launched Second Stage in 2009 with the goal of providing an opportunity for artists to present new and innovative shows in intimate, creative settings, and to offer Tokyo audiences exciting new theatrical experiences different from those in the main season lineup. Presented in "black box" style, Second Stage is intimate with its smaller casts, creative venues, and playing to a limited number of patrons. It is a great place to get your feet wet in the world of theatre or try a new endeavor out, such as acting or directing.
Second Stage productions occur throughout the season placed between MainStage productions based on a number of criteria. Venues include Our Space in Hatagaya, Trance Mission Theater in Sangubashi, and other black box locations around Tokyo. See our ACCESS page for more information.
We are always accepting proposals for Second Stage productions. If you have a production (either published or original) that you would like to produce, please apply using the following format:
In an email or attached document, please provide as much of the following information as possible:
• Producer Name (Contact person for the TIP Second Stage Artistic Committee)
• Producer Telephone #
• Producer Email Address
• Producer Address
• Play Title
• Description of Play (Tell us what you can about what type of play this is.)
• Synopsis of the Play
• Estimated Cast Size
• Planning Info
• Proposed Production Dates (Provide a range of dates, if possible)
• Proposed Venue
• Number of Performances (How many performances are you planning?)
• Other personnel
• Why do you want to do this show? Talk about your vision.
• Anything else you want us to know
for submission. You will be contacted soon thereafter to verify your application was received. If you do not hear from anyone, please let us know through our CONTACT FORM.